DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures orderly and timely flow of patients through the phlebotomy area.
- Accurately identifies patients, charts, super bills, and related paperwork. Resolves identification discrepancies.
- Maintains knowledge of containers, tubes, and minimum volumes required for collection.
- Collects blood specimens via venipuncture, finger stick micro technique, syringe and butterfly methodologies.
- Instructs patients on urine and stool occult blood collection.
- Performs correct specimen collection and handling for special procedures such as Drug of Abuse testing, Alcohol testing, Pre-employment physicals as per the Procedure Manual.
- Delivers specimens and paperwork to appropriate in-house laboratory workstations.
- Maintains inventory of phlebotomy supplies.
- Ensures that phlebotomy area is neat, clean, and stocked.
- Follows Universal Precaution standards. Utilizes safe and prudent laboratory work practices.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Minimum one year phlebotomy experience.
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) certification preferred.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology; Skilled in blood drawing techniques; Able to work in a fast paced environment. Able to effectively communicate with patients, employees, and medical staff.
Understanding that Privacy and Security of medical records is covered by the Privacy Act of 1974 and Federal Regulation 45 CFR, Parts 160, 162 and 164 Standards for Privacy & Security of Individually Identifiable Health Information.
§ Must have a working knowledge of current health care practices and nursing theory. Oral and written communication skills. Skilled in client assessment and problem solving. Ability to interpret and follow current guidelines and policies. Skill in organizing and coordinating client care.